Show Notes for Episode 17: You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch
You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch
In this episode, the elves discuss 1966’s animated special Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas, in addition to the 2000, live-action remake of the same name. Surprisingly, it’s not Angry Anthony who makes an appearance in this episode, but Angry Thom and a very Perplexed Julia, both of whom team-up and rage against one of Anthony’s favorite Christmas films. Needless to say, things get a little bit contentious.
- We have our first real sponsor! Sudio! Visit SudioSweden.com and use promo code TisthePod for 15% off and free worldwide shipping. The elves are currently enjoying the Sudio Regent earphones and pretty happy with them.
- Anthony and Thom may be battling colds, but they are both just as excited as Julia with how close Christmas is.
- Two movies are discussed during the bulk of this episode – the classic, animated version of the Grinch from the ‘60s, and the controversial live-action remake from the year 2000. While the elves are in sync with their love for the former, a fierce debate over the quality of the latter takes up the bulk of this episode. It’s two vs. one: Thom and Julia vs. Anthony.
- The elves are in agreement about whether or not both of these adaptations of the classic children’s book passes the Linus Test (Spoiler Alert: It Does, and Spoiler Alert: The test could easily be renamed the Grinch Test.), and even agree on where the animated version of the story ranks on their list of Christmas Television Specials. As for the Ron Howard film? The New Yorker and the Oklahomans have never had a wider gap in their scores.
- Please participate in our poll on Twitter: Do you like the live-action version of the Grinch?
- New iTunes review! Thanks, 41Wes!
- Want a Tis the Podcast sticker? (In addition to other bonus content?) Donate to our Patreon page!
- Next week’s movie: The 1996 Hallmark film, Mrs. Santa Claus – starring Angela Lansbury. We’ll be interviewing the screenwriter of the film, Mark Saltzman, on the episode! Tune in!
- Guess what? Only 2 weeks left until Christmas! That went by so fast, didn’t it? Time to carve the roast beast!